Roots: Growing Deeper

Monday, May 10, 2010

Mothers Day

In the United States Mothers day is always the second Sunday in May. In Mexico, it's always on May 10th. This year May 10th falls on a Monday. What made me laugh was that none of the children had school today! Some other new Mother's day traditions in Mexico that I just found out....
On May 10th starting at 12am to about 5am or so, through the main part of town, bands go from door to door singing the traditional celebration song "las mayanitas" to mothers. It's occasionally followed with a hug, or a rose.
Also, every year in Autlan on Mother's day there's an event at the Plaza de Toros where they perform music, have traditional mexican dancers, and give away free gifts to the mothers. We went to that event with some friends tonight. I had never been in the Plaza de Toros before; it was a cool experience.

I also wanted to take the opportunity today to tell my mom how much I love and appreciate her. I couldn't ask for a better mom, and I am so greatful for everything she does, and who she is. God has truly blessed me and my family with her. I love you Mommy! Happy Mother's day!

No comments: