Roots: Growing Deeper

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Audience of One

 Tonight the Lord opened my eyes through a very unique first time experience in my life. My youth group band and I had prepared a 25 minute set of worship songs to play for a weekly hour long study session we have each Saturday night from 9:01-10:01 pm. (Based off Matthew 9:1 in the Bible). As we stood in the foyer of the church before the activity began, our youth pastor asked us to all put blind folds on. We put the blindfolds over our eyes, and darkness was the only thing visible.
 As Pastor Joe led me into the auditorium, he asked me what instrument I was playing. I said the piano, and he led me to where it was on the stage. As my hands found the keys, I immediately felt for familiar keys and positions. The room was silent and panic began to creep up on me. As more people began to enter the room silently, I began to think I would be playing our set with the blindfold on. I had seen the chord progressions for the first time just two hours before to a few of these songs. Pastor Joe told us that we indeed would be playing with our blindfolds on, and the reality of this began to settle in. I tried my hardest to remember the notes position of my fingers for the first song. 'take it one song at a time' I told myself. At first I was consumed with the thought of how everything would sound, and how I would do the job right. Then realization came that no matter what I did, it wouldn't be perfect. In addition, I realized it didn't matter. I realized that this time was to worship my Savior, not worship what I was doing, how it sounded, or who I was playing for. Because I was only playing for One: my Savior. It was all in worship to Him.
As we played our set, I definitely didn't play perfectly. I missed many chords, and struggled to find my position on the familiar keys. However, I did my best, and I was proud of my band, and friends. Because even though it wasn't perfect, we had the right mindset, and we really did do a good job. We really did do it in worship of God instead of to impress others. No distractions from our surroundings, just worshiping our Savior with all that was in us; from our hearts.
After the time of worship, we gathered around a candle in the dark auditorium with our Bibles. We talked about how we felt as we played. PJ told us that there was only one person in the audience. This was to represent the fact that in ALL we do, we do it for one person, and one person only. The other three people that had come to 9:01 were sitting across the stage as they worshiped the Lord as well. It was cool to see their perspective as they listened and in their own position, worshiped God.

As a result of this incredible, eye opening experience, I am reminded that in ALL I do I need to do it not for my surroundings, not being distracted by them either, but rather for the only audience that matters: my Father, Jesus.

Psalm 86:12 " I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever."

Revelation 5:12 "saying with a loud voice. "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!".

No comments: