Roots: Growing Deeper

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

92 & 96

   Working with the general public, I've already dealt with quite a variety of different people. Different cultures, personalities, customs, manners and ages. From the cute babies, who smile every time I approach the table, to the same man that comes in at least once, usually twice a day for coffee, I enjoy just about all of them. It's been fun getting to know the regulars, and also getting to visit with other customers as they travel through town. 

Yesterday was a quiet Monday afternoon in the cafe. My co-worker was doing some maintenance outside, as I cleaned up the kitchen. As I washed the dishes, a white car pulled into our small, three space parking lot in front of the cafe. As I watched through the window, after a few seconds, an older man began to exit the drivers side door. He slowly stood, and walked to the passenger side, opening the door for his wife. The couple slowly made their way to the entrance. I greeted them with a smile, as they walked in. Asking if they wanted menus, they said no. They were just in for some milkshakes. He wanted peanut butter, and she vanilla. The couple found their seats at the table furthest to the wall; close to the cash register. I began to make their milk shakes, and smiled to myself at how cute of a couple they were. 
We began a conversation, of which the man generally carried on. The woman was very quiet and thoughtful. I gave them their shakes, and began to clean up my mess. After a few minutes, we continued chatting, and I found out it was the mans 92nd birthday, and they had come to celebrate. I congratulated him enthusiastically, and he cheerfully shared with me about his life. He told me of his work, where he grew up, and what Trout Lake used to be like. He was so kind. Always smiling, and very genuine. His wife stayed quiet, enjoying her shake. 
As they finished up their shakes, I was almost sad that they would be leaving soon. It was so great talking with him, and learning about his many life experiences. After we exchanged names, and they cleared their own table very efficiently, they began to make their way to leave. 
I told them thank you for coming in, and how nice it was to meet them. As the couple walked across the small dining room toward the door, arms linked, the gentleman turned toward me and said "and she's 96!" "She beats you then, I guess!" I playfully replied. The woman smiled. 
As they arrived to their car, the man opened the door for his wife, and made sure she was in safe and sound before closing the door, making his way to his own car door. As I watched him so carefully take care of his wife, and took in how much I enjoyed the small conversation I had with this couple, made me realize how wise living life makes you. Based on your experiences and years of observing, learning, seeing etc. make you the incredible person you are. incredible people who have had many years to enjoy living, not taking it for granted and wasting it are such good examples of role models. Don't waste your time here. Embrace it. Enjoy every moment, take it ALL in, and help it mold the person you are. 

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Jess, I love that you notice these things and appreciate them. This is what makes life so rich :)

Hannah K. said...

Love this, Jess!!