Roots: Growing Deeper

Saturday, May 21, 2011

A New Transition

 I was talking with my mom on the phone tonight. It's always so good to hear her voice! I love catching up with her, and telling her all about what's going on in my life. She's probably a little bit overwhelmed when we talk because my mouth always starts going a mile a minute. A couple times tonight  I caught myself amazed at how fast I was talking. It's great to hear about my family's life in Autlan and everything going on there too. Talking with my family on the phone always lifts my spirits, no matter what kind of mood I'm in. They are such an encouragement!
As I talked with my mom tonight, we had a conversation about transitions. Just a couple days ago, Wednesday, I moved up to the little town of Trout Lake, WA to work for the summer. I'm working full time at the local Cafe, as well as helping out at Camp Jonah Ministries on my time off. As my mom and I talked, she told me that from the time I was young, transitions have always been especially hard for me. I love excitement and adventure, but big transitions like moving, beginning something that I know will take sacrifice and effort, is always hard for me at first. Moving to Mexico, starting a new sport on a new team with people I don't know, beginning to play on worship team, moving out of the house and away from my family....these are all things that have been new, hard transitions in my life over the past couple years. With each one I have been incredibly blessed and seen the many ways God has used and desired these things for my life, but they have not been easy transitions; especially in the beginning. I understand that for everyone transitions can be hard, but for some reason, they really hit me hard.
The first couple days here in Trout Lake have been a bit scary as I begin my first full time job, move in to a new place, meet new people, and try to "find my place" as I try to make friends and get plugged in. I know that in no time I will feel at home, and have a fantastic summer. I just have to push through this adjustment time.
I'm staying with my friend Sherri, and her husband Thomas. They are so incredibly nice, and I'm thrilled that they have so kindly offered for me to stay with them for the summer. They are so fun, nice, and encouraging to be around.
All the people here are super friendly, and I'm excited to get to know everyone better as time goes on. Working at camp will be a blast, and I'm excited to do odd jobs, hang out, and hopefully be an encouragement to both the staff and campers this summer.
Sherri and I are going to begin training, and hope to conquerer Mt. Adams this summer. We have an absolutely breath-taking view of it from the kitchen window, and pretty much everywhere you go in Trout Lake, you can see the Mountain. We also have a river that flows right behind the house, and I get to fall asleep to the flow of it at night. The air here is crisp and fresh, and everywhere you look and go you're surrounded by nature, and the beauty of God's creation.
That's as far as I've been immersed into life up here in Trout Lake so far..but I'll keep you posted on what else I learn and experience as the summer unfolds.


The Cafe:




 My Room: It's so cute!

No comments: