Roots: Growing Deeper

Saturday, December 25, 2010

For Unto Us a Child is Born....

Luke 2: The Birth of Jesus

1 In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. 2 (This was the first census that took place while[a] Quirinius was governor of Syria.) 3 And everyone went to their own town to register.4 So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. 5 He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. 6 While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, 7and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.

 8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”
 13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
 14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven,
   and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”
 15 When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”
 16 So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. 17 When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, 18 and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. 19 But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. 20 The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.
 21 On the eighth day, when it was time to circumcise the child, he was named Jesus, the name the angel had given him before he was conceived.

This Christmas, I have been blessed beyond what I could have ever asked for, and given the beautiful gift of being able to celebrate the birth of my Savior with my family here in Autlan. 
 After my first semester in college, and all the changed that I've experienced in the past few months, it is so great to be able to come back to my home here in Mexico and relax. I have missed being with my family very, very much over that past few months, and it is so great to be able to spend good, quality time with them! 
 Christian, now almost 7 years old (I can't believe that!) said to my mom when they were going to pick me up at the airport on Tuesday, that it was "the greatest day of his whole life". How adorable is that?! 
Seeing my friends again, being with family, and being able to relax and enjoy not being cold here in Autlan, is the best Christmas present I could have asked for this year. 
 Since the night after I arrived to Autlan, we've had Posada (Christmas party) after Posada! It's been a blast, and I absolutely LOVE how the Hispanic culture celebrates Christmas here. 
Downtown, the entire center is filled with vendors, surrounded by the nativity scene that lights up the entire garden. Each night there are different performances, and the day after I got here, I got to watch Morgan perform her gymnastic routine there!
 This morning, as we all woke up and made our way down stairs to see what Santa had brought us, the faces of Christian, Morgan and Dane were priceless as they opened each surprise. 
 And of course, a Christmas season can't go by with out the family sitting down to watch Elf, a Christmas classic in our family. 
 Even though all these fun little things we were able to enjoy and memories created that we will cherish for the years to come, through out the day I couldn't help but having my mind constantly being brought back to the words above, found in Luke chapter 2. To think that I'm given all these great memories, parties etc. when really, just the opportunity to celebrate the gift of Christ's coming is waaaayyy more than enough! Really, I don't deserve in the slightest to even be given the gift of God's son, so to be able to celebrate it is the biggest honor and blessing alone! 
Thinking about how amazing this Christmas season has been already, I am placed, once again, speechless at the feet of my Savior, giving Him thanks, honor, praise and glory as I once again am the recipient of more than I could ever ask for, let alone deserve. 


Thank you, my dear Jesus, for sending your Son to earth as a gift to me. Thank you for the beautiful story in Luke 2 that tells us of how you did this wonderful thing for those that you love. 
 Thank you, God for the countless blessings you've given me this Christmas. Thank you for my family and their ministry here in Mexico. Thank you for allowing me to be here with them at this time. 
 God I ask that you would continue to show the world how marvelous you are, and how great your blessings are on this earth, for your people. 
I love you, Jesus, and thank you again, for your precious son. 
In your name, Amen.

No comments: