Roots: Growing Deeper

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Isai- The Past Three Weeks -

Since I saw Isai for the first time 18 days ago, I've grown immensely in learning how to trust COMPLETELY in God.
From the time I wake up in the morning to when I lay in bed at night, thinking and praying for Isai, I have to remind myself of this: in times like these, when you want to do all that you can, but the only thing you can do that will truly make a difference, is put all your trust in our Savior, and find peace in Him. God has renewed and strengethened my faith in Him every time, as well as shown me the power of HIS LOVE through every aspect.
2 Corinthians 5:7 tells us to "live by faith, not by sight." This passsage has taken on a whole new meaning to me. It has become incredibly real to me, on a whole new level than before. I've had to learn how to trust 110% in God, because there is nothing, absolutely nothing more than I can do. God is our "strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress." (Isaiah 33:2)


This past Saturday, July 3, I was blessed with another opportunity to visit my dear friend Isai in the hospital in Guadalajara. A group was arriving on Saturday morning from Texas, and we were to pick them up at the airport. Some of the people in the group know Isai from coming to Autlan in the past, and have been praying for him every day since the day they heard about his accident. They wanted to go to the hospital to visit him, and I followed right behind them.

Isai had been removed from Intensive Care a few days before, because his fever, infection, and pnemonia had been overcome. Thanks to both the miraculous provision of God, and a Christian nurse in the hospital that had heard about Isai, he was blessed with his own, the only, private room on his floor.
As we approached the steps to the main entrance of the hospital, the devestation that surrounded us from every angle clouded over each of us as well. The eyes of the people around us told stories of hurt, desperation, and longing. People were everywhere waiting to hear news about their loved ones, trying to get past the security to see them, and waiting for a miracle.
Just moments after we arrived, my wonderful friend, and the sister of Isai, Ceci, came down to greet us. Her heart filled with joy as she greeted everyone. I received a big smile, and an even bigger hug from her. I knew she was happy we had come.
I asked Ceci to tell us the situation on how our friend was doing. She told us:
"He is doing well, and making small improvements. Two people may go up at a time to see him, but you can't touch him. There are face masks you must wear, and be sure to wash your hands before you enter."
Karen and I were the first ones to go up to visit our friend. As Ceci handed me the pass and told me which floor and room to go to, my heart was still nervous, but more peaceful. I had been longing to see Isai again every moment since I left his hospital bed two weeks before. I had been praying all morning that God would prepare my heart and mind for when I saw him again. Karen and I made our way past security and waited for the elevator.
Karen is a nurse in the United States, and I was really happy she could be here. She understood so much more that most of us did, and just by seeing him would be able to have a better idea of how he is doing, and what he needed.
The elevator doors opened at floor 10 and we made our way to room 10161. After washing our hands, I knocked at the closed door. Poncho opened it just enough to see us. He handed us our face masks, and after we got them properly assembeled, let us in, closing the door directly behind us. I gave Poncho a big hug. It was so good to see him again.
Inisde, the very first thing I noticed was that Isai had a cell phone right next to him, and was listening to music. I almost began to cry just at the sight of it. I had thought about how he needed to be listening to music while he's here. It's who he is.
I made my way over to the side of the bed that Isai was facing, and his eyes were wide open. I smiled, but then realized that because of the mask, he couldn't see it. I greeted him with warm, friendly, excited words. Poncho leaned over the bed, and in Isai's ear said to him "Isai, your friend Jessi came to see you. You need to greet her; raise your eyebrows to greet her, Isai." Isai raised his eyebrows in direct responce to Poncho. I never knew such a little thing could bring so much contentment, joy and hope to one person in one moment. However, I was overcome with even more of those same feelings when just moments later, as I continued to talk to Isai, Poncho told me that Isai recognized me.
Poncho said when he knows who you are, he is very tranquil, and his face is relaxed and content. When nurses or people come in that he doesn't know, he acts bothered, and makes annoyed facial expressions.
Karen was filled with questions, and as I translated for Poncho, Isai continued to listen to my voice, and study me intently. I knew he really did recognize me, and know who I was. Words can't describe the joy that brought and continues to bring to me.
One of the things I told Isai was that the teenage boy that he had been reaching out to daily before his accident, who was very skeptical and not interested in God, had come to youth group all on his own a few weeks back. And that he also came with me to church at Aposento Alto last Wednesday night. As I told this to Isai, he acted different. His eyes had a look of both determination and excitement. I knew what I had told him meant a lot to him, and I believe it moved him a step closer to getting better.
Amist the conversations with Poncho about how Isai was doing, Poncho informed us that Isai's fever was coming back. "The hospital is out of the medicine he needs, and it's hard to find. It's our job to get it, and its very expensive." Karen and I immediately wrote down the name of the medicine and the amount he needed.
Isai had lost a lot of weight since I saw him two weeks before. However, I could tell he was at peace. He wasn't constantly moving around, restless and upset, like he was the last time I had seen him. He actually was very calm while I was with him. I could tell that he was doing better; that he felt better.
Karen and I were with Isai for at least a half an hour, probably more. There were more people that wanted to see him, and we knew we had to go; even though I'm sure she was wishing she could stay with him all afternoon, just like I was. I held Isai's hand for a minute, and told him goodbye. I gave Poncho a hug goodbye, and we made our way out of the room.

As I left Isai's room, I had a very new, different outlook on my friend Poncho. He is the most amazing nurse of all time. He takes better care of Isai than probably 3 of the hospital nurses could together. He had this specific manner about it that amazed me, and was so good at it! Seeing this gave me a new level of peace about Isai. I knew he was being well taken care of, and I didn't need to worry about his care, Poncho was doing an outstanding job.
Seriously, the nurses that came in while we were with Isai just opened the door and asked Poncho how he was doing. They knew Poncho knew how to take care of him, and had showed him everything he needed to know how to do to take good care of Isai. Poncho had this joy, this contentment in every movement, and I knew that he was thankful for the opportunity to take care of his best friend.
I also left with a new, incredibly high respect for Poncho. God will bless him in many ways for everything he is doing for Isai. I've learned from observing how he is with Isai, that I need to have a servants heart like his. Thank you Poncho, for setting the amazing example that you have in my life, and in the lives of many others. You're incredible, and God will bless you for the man of God that you are.

Karen and I made our way back down the elevator and outside. My dad and Deb went up to see Isai next, and Ceci went to go talk with the doctor about the medicine Isai needed.
Everyone that had been waiting while we were with Isai asked me how he was immediately after I got down from seeing him. They were curious to see how I thought he was in comparison to when I saw him two weeks before.
Everyone fell quiet and listened as I began to tell them what Poncho had told me, as well as what I had seen, felt, and observed in my time with Isai just moments before.
I could tell that I was trembling a bit, and my voice was shaking a little as I spoke. I got about 2/3 of the way through, but then I couldn't hold it in any longer. I stopped mid sentence and began to weap. Why? Because as the words were coming out, and I began to cry at the same time, I also realized and knew that I believed with my whole heart, what I was about to say.
A moment later, when I was able to at least say the three words that they were waiting to hear, I let go of my moms warm hug. I looked around and just about everyone else was crying too, but I managed to get the three words out, "he's doing better".
Ceci came down and told us that the Doctor didn't have the medicine Isai needed. Karen, Ceci, and I all knew that if he didn't get that medicine NOW, it wouldn't be good. We told everyone about the medicine he needed and immediately began trying to figure out where we could get it. Before we began our search for the medicine though, we did took the first step, the most important step in finding what we were in need of.
We all circled around the front of the hospital, and without caring about how much room we were all taking up, or who was starring at us, we grabbed hands and began to pray. My dad prayed in English, and after he concluded, with my hand holding Ceci's, I prayed in Spanish.
After we finished, with tears running down her cheeks, Ceci told us thank you with the most thankful and more sincere heart than she was capable. With tears now running down my cheeks as well, she looked at me and told me thank you. I immediately hugged her, and we cried together. Both with sadness, longing and hope in our hearts. Neither one of us wanted to let go of each other, so we didn't. It felt good to be a comfort to her, and I was happy to know that our visit meant a lot to her.

After a long afternoon of searching for the medicine our friend Isai was in desperate need of, God provided us with it, just as we all trusted he would. We bought four of the ten that he needed; it would at least get him started. We were going to go somewhere else to buy the other six but Ceci we had already done more than enough, and that words could not describe how thankful she was for all we had done. (Even though there were five of us at the counter purchasing the medicine, we might have possibly left with out it and realized 15 minutes later...luckily we couldn't get very far without it!)
We drove back to the hospital to deliver the medicine. Before the car had even come to a complete stop in front of the hospital, Pastor Leonel and Olivia came running out to us. They had huge smiles on their faces. We immedately gave Pastor the medicine and he literally turned around and ran upstairs to give the medicine to Isai. Olivia quickly followed him, and we knew that God has blessed us all far more than we could have asked for that Saturday of July 3, 2010.


Over the course of the next few days there wasn't much word on Isai, just that he was doing a little better each day.

On Tuesday evening the group decided to go to La Roca. On our way there my little brother Christian (6) says "hey look, that's Pastor Leonel!" as we pass by a man on the sidewalk. We turn to look, thinking it's probably just someone that looks like him, only to find out that indeed it was Pastor Leonel walking down the street.
I jumped out of the car to talk to him, and everyone else continued on to La Roca. I was greeted with a warm smile and hug, but couldn't distinguish if more sadness or happiness lingered in his eyes.
I asked him about Isai's condition, and was awestruck by what he told me. Just today, Tuesday, Isai's breathing tube had been taken out, his fever was down, and they began feeding him food oraly. I literally had to contain myself from jumping with joy, and allowing tears of happiness to come from my eyes.
Pastor continued to tell me that he came to Autlan to get some documents from Nestle, the comany Isai works for. Apparently there has been a misunderstanding, and if they do not get the papers needed, Isai's insurance will not cover the cost for Isai's accident. Someone is claiming that Isai wasn't working when the accident happened, that he was simply using his work truck. Of course, that is completely ridiculous. They are having trouble obtaining the papers though, so please continue to be in prayer for that.
I gave Pastor Leonel a hug goodbye, and we both went on our way. I could tell he was very tired, and still quite down, but I could tell the good news had lifted his spirits some.

Once I got inside La Roca everyone wanted to know what Pastor had told me. I told my dad and a few other people right as I walked in, but was asked by the leader of the mission team if I could announce what I had heard in front of everyone.
Everyone was in the main room chatting and enjoying their coffee. I stood more or less in the middle of the room, and asked for everyone's attention. I was shaking again. The room was silent as I shared with them what Pastor had told me. I informed them of the needed documents and how his fever was doing. When I told them about Isai having the breathing tube removed, I knew the tears were close. I knew the best part of all was next, and I couldn't help but start to cry. I fell quiet and allowed myself to soak in the joy of what Leonel had just informed me with moments before, that I was about to share with them. Tears fell down my cheeks as I told them they had began to give Isai food.
I stood there for a moment in complete awe of it all. God is so amazing! Tears filled the room, as God showed us that it's ALL in His timing. Just days before when we had seen Isai we had no idea how close he was to being able to eat or breathe on his own. God knew the exact moment.



Isai was moved to his third hospital in Guadalajara on Wednesday afternoon. This is the hospital he had been staying at for the past two weeks, and the one we went to visit him at. As you look at this picture, please take a moment to pray for our brother Isai.



The front of the hospital. You can see the steps behind the gate, and the people waiting outside.

No comments: